Saturday, September 1, 2012

Big Love, Little Love

There is a lot of big love here.   People care about these kiddos.   They are given medical care, healthy food, clean safe places to sleep and play, and lots of educational opportunities.  They are prayed for every day.  It is an amazing place. 

But, as I watch, I see it is a big love.  It is wonderful and good.  It is a "for God so loved the world" kind of love.

But it doesn't always seem to be enough.  More little love is needed.

Let me explain.   We were in the playroom with a few children and their nannies.  The nannies were sitting in the corner talking with each other while they watched the kids play.  Someone came in and placed a little boy on the floor.  He had orthopedic shoes and a blank look on his face.  He didn't move.  He didn't do anything.  I started to wonder if he was even in there. I wondered if he was severely disabled in a way that kept him from interacting with the world.  I had my hands full with a couple of other children and couldn't go to him, but I watched as several nannies walked past.  None spoke to him or tried to engage him in anyway.  He didn't act like he even knew anyone else was in the room.  It was really bothering me.  Kelly went over and rolled a toy truck to him.  In that moment, that blank, empty look disappeared and the sweetest smile just lit up his face.  The little boy I thought was just a shell, pushed that truck back to Kelly with a look of pure joy.  They played together for quite a while. That look never left his face.

Kelly may or may not have had any "big love" to offer at that moment.  But he was offering "little love."  It was the kind that noticed the person.  The kind that saw that child as an individual.  The kind that sought out relationship rather than just provision.  It was delightful to watch.

It reminded me that God's big love--you know, the love that provides everything we need, the love that sent Jesus to the cross so we could have eternal life,--isn't all of the story.  God also gave us little love.  Love that numbers the hairs on our head and holds our tears in bottles.  This is the love that sees us and enters into relationship with us.  I'm so thankful for God's big AND little loves.  I'm thankful for the love at this place, too.  But it is mostly big.  I pray that there will soon be a mommy and daddy to provide the little love that each child here needs so very much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment